Sunday, March 11, 2012

KONY 2012



In case you didn't tune in and dropped out, the biggest news last week was a video documentary by Invisible Children that went uber viral on March 5, 2012.  It tells the story of Joseph Kony, the Ugandan Liberation Rebel Army leader, and his victimization of children.  I went on Facebook on the morning of March 5th and saw that a couple of my friends posted the same video.  I dind't pay much attention to it.  By the next day, everyone their mommas were posting the same video and were talking about an 'action kit'.  So I knew this was definately a new trend in viral videos.  I haven't seen the whole thing (it's 30 minutes long) but I've gathered the main points from friends and talking heads on the telly.  Viral genius? Yes! Effective marketing?  Debatable.  The video has garnished 71.5 million views in ONLY 7 DAYS!  It has definately made Kony's name recognizable.  There are those who argue that the video may have fallen short since it targets teens and young adults and these groups generally don't have the political clout or are in a position to make policy decisions.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if this actually leads to something or if it will be so last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment